I have never in my life had dandruff but my scalp is flaky this winter and it’s embarrassing. Do you have any recommendations?
Yes! I totally understand and am here to help! The changing of the seasons can be stressful for your skin. I have noticed this year to be exceptionally so. One of my favorite approaches to banishing flakes is with a scalp treatment. This is something you can give yourself, or ask for help from a partner.
You will need the following:
- A bristle brush – A synthetic or boar brush with stiff bristles and a pintail for sectioning would be ideal. If you do not have a pintail, you can use a pintail comband some clips for sectioning.
- A cape to protect your clothing and furniture from dander. A large towel will work too, and you will need another towel to dry your hair.
- Oil and an applicator bottle. I recommend the DermOrganic Pure Argan Oil and a Tint Applicator Bottle with a fine tip for a precise application.
- Shampoo and Conditioner. Malibu C Scalp Wellness Shampoo and Conditioner are a great option. They are sulfate free and contain eucalyptus and spearmint that leave the scalp feeling invigorated.
Let’s Get Started!
- Once you have collected your supplies, cover yourself with a drape or towel.
- Begin by sectioning the hair in 4 sections with clips.
- Start on one quadrant and roll the bristle brush with a firm rocking stroke through thin partings on your hair, working from top to bottom. Think of it as a sweeping motion with moderate pressure over the scalp surface. You should start to see dander coming off onto the towel and into the brush.
- Continue to work through all four sections from top to bottom until you have completed the entire surface of the scalp.
- Fill the applicator bottle with about ¾ of an ounce of oil. Now resection the hair back into quarters and begin applying the oil lightly to the scalp in ¼ inch partings. When you have finished covering the entire scalp, massage the oil in using circular motions.
- Clean the applicator bottle out and fill it with about an ounce of shampoo. You may need more depending on the thickness and density of your hair.
- Apply the shampoo to your oiled scalp in the same manner as you did with the oil. Massage again to emulsify the oil into the shampoo. This is very important to do without water. If you wet the hair before you mix it with the oil, it will not pick enough of it up, and you will end up greasy.
- Now that the shampoo has started to emulsify the oil, wet the hair and start working the shampoo in further, then rinse thoroughly.
- Follow with conditioner and enjoy that tingly deep clean feeling.
- Repeat this about once a month or seasonally as needed.
Your scalp will feel wonderful and your hair will look great too!
You can also use topical products like Nioxin Scalp Recovery Soothing Serum. This helps maintain the moisture balance on the scalp while treating common skin issues like dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
For more information, come by the store or shop Scalp Health online.
Have a beauty-related question? We'd love to hear it, and so would our readers. Email your questions to Westside Beauty Supply.
We’d love to help.
If you don't have a stylist or esthetician you work with, give us a call and we'll set up an appointment to help you with your skin-care or hair-care products. We have several make-up artists that are happy to help you find new colors and techniques that make you feel beautiful. Letting us know when you are coming in will ensure we can give you all our attention. This is a free service, and there is no obligation to buy our products.