I have been hearing a lot about Apple Cider Vinegar for almost everything from head to toe. Is it really good for your hair or just hype?
We love an “au naturel” approach. ACV, when used in proper formulations, can be a really beneficial and natural ingredient. Just don’t go straight from the vinegar bottle!
One of the most important factors for any great skin or hair care product is pH. The proper pH balance is vitally important to the health of your skin and hair.
A quick guide to pH by the numbers:
- pH is based on a system of numbers from 1-14.
- 1 is a strong acid, like in a car battery. 14 is extremely alkali, like liquid drain cleaner.
- Your optimal pH for your skin and hair is between 4.5 to 5.5.
- Harsh cleansers, swimming in the ocean or pool, and extremely hard or soft water can cause pH imbalance.
This is why it is really important to be sure all of your products are pH balanced!
Benefits of pH balanced products that contain ACV:
- Acts as a barrier to help keep out bacteria, viruses, and other potential threats by supporting your skin’s acid mantle. The acid mantle is a very thin, slightly acidic film on the surface of your skin that is made when sebum is mixed with sweat.
- Clarifies to help remove environmental impurities and styling buildup on the hair and scalp.
- Makes your hair smoother, shinier, less frizzy, and easier to detangle by lowering the pH of your hair which flattens and closes the cuticle. It also helps seal in color.
- Alleviates certain types of dandruff & hair loss by preventing fungal and bacterial growth.
- Contains vitamins B, C, and potassium.
- Stimulates hair growth by increasing blood circulation to hair follicles.
ACV has a low of a pH of about 3 on its own and it should not be applied straight to the hair or skin as is. Formulas that contain other ingredients to control the pH are far safer options.
Ready to give some a try? Here are some great pH balanced, natural products for your hair that contain ACV.
We promise they will not leave you smelling like a salad dressing!
Stay healthy, Beauties!
Have a beauty-related question? We'd love to hear it, and so would our readers. Email your questions to Westside Beauty Supply.
We’d love to help.
If you don't have a stylist or esthetician you work with, give us a call and we'll set up an appointment to help you with your skin-care or hair-care products. We have several make-up artists that are happy to help you find new colors and techniques that make you feel beautiful. Letting us know when you are coming in will ensure we can give you all our attention. This is a free service, and there is no obligation to buy our products.
We’re stocking some amazing beauty and personal care gifts perfect for friends and family! There is nothing greater than the...Read More
Dear Audrey, I love the look of false eyelashes, but I’m afraid to try using them at home—they look so...Read More
“Halloween fun that won’t haunt you after!” Avoid a hair nightmare before Christmas with these tips on how to create...Read More